Listen to our podcast. It's why we're here.

Friday, March 26, 2010

We're Out There...

*stands up and looks around nervously*

Hello everyone! My name is Jennifer, and I am a gamer chic...

In a predominantly male gaming world it's not unusual for me to get the occasional look of disbelief, or sarcastic eye roll when somebody learns that I've got big love for a little thing called the video game. It's nothing for me to spend an entire day off in front of my 360, or whittle away at the wee hours of the morning questing with my guild mates on World of Warcraft. I will, with few exclusions, play just about any game on any gaming console.

For me it's the challenge of solving a puzzle, unlocking an achievement, exploring an engaging world with beautifully done graphics, or playing with charismatic and endearing characters. Then there are those times when, lets face it, you gotta just get on and give somebody the ass kicking of a lifetime. Or, in my case, depending on the game, be the one at the receiving end of said ass kicking... Either way, very rarely do I ever go an entire day without playing some sort of game.

I was posed the question: What is it like to be a female gamer in a mostly male dominated gaming world? Let's, for example, explore my adventures with Rock Band or Guitar Hero. When I do really good against somebody, and I mean when I totally nail a face melting solo against a male player, more often than not I get asked the question, "Are you really a girl?"

*face palm*

The usual answer is, "Are you really a moron?" Then on to the next match I go. On the other hand, if I play against a fellow female player and I do well, I usually get a "good job" and a request to do battle again sometime. This is not always the case, but it's what I've experienced on several occasions.

A couple of weeks ago two of my managers and a few other guys from work were standing around discussing the first Bioshock. When I spoke up and said that I couldn't wait to get my hands on Bioshock 2, they all looked at me like I had suddenly transformed into Cerberus right before their eyes. They were stunned that I played. One of my managers was totally down with it. Score for me because he brings me games all the time, and talks to me about different games when we should be working! The other one still pokes fun at me a bit, but he's coming around. It's okay though, because mine's bigger than his! Gamer score, you guys...head's out of the gutter please.

All in all, it ain't bad being a girl in the gaming world. It's not like you boys don't accept it, you just don't know what to do with us sometimes. By now, though, we're used to that! Besides, according to The ESA (The Entertainment Software Association), us ladies are responsible for forty percent of the gaming community. Better watch out boys, the gaming world could soon become a woman's world!

*excuses herself to go harvest her crops now*

3 comments:

  1. Welcome Jen, great article, glad to have you contribute. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Epic 1st post Jenn,Oh can you send me more tiles on FARMVILLE?

    ReplyDelete
  3. No problem, Touya. I'm honored to have been given the chance.

    ReplyDelete

Sound off on this!